Remodeling a bathroom – even a small one – can seem like it comes with a steep cost. However, it is possible to completely transform your bathroom on a smaller budget. Whether it be repainting your vanity cabinetry and sourcing some cheap decor from Home Depot or using porcelain tile to imitate marble, there are several ways you can save money while still giving your bathroom an amazing makeover. Listed below are several different bathroom remodeling ideas you can put to use if you’re wanting to renovate on a tight budget. Most of these can even be done by just one person!
7 Affordable Bathroom Renovation Ideas
1. Do Some Painting – Painting is a cost-friendly and effective way to transform the appearance of your bathroom. However, it can be a tedious task, especially if you’re painting on your own to save a few extra bucks. If you decide to repaint your bathroom, you’re going to need to be as precise as possible when painting around windows, sinks, tubs, showers, mirrors, toilets, and the floor. Keep in mind, a good paint job is going to take both time and patience.
When painting your bathroom, remember that it’s a room where a lot of moisture is present. Mold and mildew can grow easily in bathrooms because of the large changes in temperature and humidity. With that in mind, consider investing in a high-quality type of paint that has a satin finish. Painting the ceiling with the proper kind of paint can also prevent mold growth.
2. Replace the Cabinets – Most bathroom cabinets are the focal part of the room. They’re known to bring out the personality of a bathroom which is why replacing them might be crucial for your bathroom remodeling project. Choose cabinets that go with your color scheme and it’s overall style and functionality. If you can’t afford to replace the cabinets, then give some consideration to at least replacing the hardware. Whether it be different knobs, hinges, lid stays, or locks, these are a fast and inexpensive way to give your cabinets a new look!
3. Update the Fixtures – The details of your bathroom can make a bigger difference than you might think. Consider updating some of the fixtures, such as the sink, lighting, cabinet hardware, and towel racks. These will typically be a small investment, yet the effect on the overall appearance on your bathroom will be quite significant! Also, when it comes to the smaller things, like towel racks, you don’t always have to buy a new one from your local home improvement store. Instead, watch some YouTube videos and making your own.
4. Upgrade Your Vanity – One of the most common budget bathroom remodel ideas is to upgrade the appearance of your vanity. You can replace the vanity entirely or just spruce up your existing one. If you research this more, you can find different ways to paint the vanity and even add some accessories to get the updated look that you desire.
5. Install Better Lighting – Although fixtures and cabinets are great things to update during a budget bathroom remodel, installing better light fixtures can be just as important. This will help make your bathroom look clean, open and functional. While lighter colors in your bathroom can help maximize the space and bring warmth, a chandelier can also add some romance. Adding different kinds of light features might be just what you need to brighten up the room!
6. Install Mirrors – Mirrors can make a small space seem big and they also add style. While you can always visit a home improvement store and purchase a really nice mirror to install, it’s also possible to just buy a cheaper mirror and make some customization’s to it with a DIY project. Some ideas to customize your mirror would be painting it, framing it, or adding some type of decorative mold around it. New frames will make your mirror more appealing and it can even restore the existing condition of the mirror, or at least mask it. Mirrors can show signs of wear and tear over time, but a frame can cover that up!
7. Replace the Tile – Old tiles can make your bathroom look outdated and dirty. Not only that, they can also attract mold and mildew which is a huge health risk. It’s common for the tiles in your bathroom to eventually lose their luster due to everyday wear and tear. If you think about it, the tiles in our bathrooms are constantly being walked on and exposed to dirt, soap, water spots, and more. Tiling can be a big job and one that you may want to hire a contractor for. However, if its something you want to try yourself then consider limiting the amount of tile in your bathroom and install it only where tile is needed the most, like around the shower.
Your bathroom can be a place to escape, relax and refresh. But, with so many essential elements to functionality, it can also be one of the most complex and expensive rooms to design and maintain within your home. If your bathroom is in need of and upgrade, consider some of the renovation ideas above to save some extra money!